Balsamic Chicken with Carrot Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Asparagus

8:32 PM Unknown 0 Comments


Oh how I love anything with balsamic on it.  When I find something I like, I perfect it until I love it and it becomes something we eat regularly.  I usually make this dish with rib eye steak but all I had was chicken.  Chicken is healthier right?  But really, I am a steak person.  And for the mashed potatoes, well they were supposed to be mashed potatoes but I ran out.  All I had left were carrots to substitute for the potatoes.  In the end I really forgot how much I like carrot mashed potatoes.  I used to make these often when we lived in Colorado. For the asparagus, I didn't do anything special.  Just steamed them for 4 min. or so then sprinkled with salt.  As usual, this meal is for two.  So enjoy :)


Ingredients

2 boneless chicken breast
1/2 Cup Gorgonzola cheese separated
Olive oil to coat frying pan
Large bottle of frying oil
tbsp truffle oil 
1 medium onion
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1 egg white
4 medium potatoes
large handful carrots (I used the small snack ones)
tbsp butter
1/4 cup half n half
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chicken broth
salt 
pepper 
garlic powder 
onion powder
thyme

Carrot mashed potatoes:  
Cube carrots and potatoes and add to pot boiling water and cook until a fork easily pierces them.  Drain. Add butter, half n half and truffle oil. I usually add a few good sprinkles of garlic powder to this also.  Add salt to taste. Blend well with mixer adding more half n half or milk until they are a good consistency.  The secret to good mashed potatoes is a lot of salt.  This is why food in restaurants tastes so good but is so bad.

French fried onions:
Add frying oil to a deep pan. Heat on medium high.  Be aware that some stoves are hotter than others and may need adjusting.  Too hot and you burn everything. Thinly slice onion into strips separating the onions.  Have two good sized bowls ready.  In one bowl add milk and egg white.  Mix well.  In other bowl add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.  I use about 1 tsp each. Mix well.  Add sliced onions to egg mixture.  Coat well.  Remove just the onions from mixture and then add to flour mixture.  Coat well.  Add onions to hot grease and fry until golden brown. {save flour}  Remove and set on plate with paper towels to drain grease.   

Balsamic Chicken:
Add generous amount of olive oil to frying pan {1/4 inch}. Heat stove to medium heat. Slice chicken 1/2 inch thick.  Add to frying pan when hot.   Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme over chicken. Enough where you can see the seasonings but don't overdo it.  Cook about 6 min. each side. When you flip chicken, season other side.  When chicken is done, remove it from stove and cover to keep warm. Reduce heat to low.  Add a few more tsp of olive oil to pan.  Add  2 to 4 tbsp of flour mixture from onion batter to pan just enough to almost saturate the oil.  Too much and it will be too dry.  Let fry on low until bubbling.  Add chicken broth.  Mix well.  Add balsamic.and 1/2 the cheese and let simmer until it is the consistency of gravy.  Remove from stove.  

 On plate layer food starting with chicken, then balsamic gravy. Top with cheese and onions.  

0 comments: